Are you determined to master Facebook advertising? The key is learning all you can about your customers. This easy guide will show you how to create micro-targeted Facebook ads using a combination of Facebook’s Lookalike Feature and RapLeaf’s email data append service.
Just follow these eight steps:
1. Export the email addresses of your most valuable customers from your database.
3. Upload at least 1,000 of your exported email addresses to RapLeaf. Add as many fields as you can from RapLeaf because their data is fairly inexpensive (typically less than $100 per 1,000 records). The most important data is gender, age, and zip.
4. Look for commonalities in the data. One way to do this easily is to go into Excel and create a pivot table off of the RapLeaf export. Place age in the “Row Labels” section, Gender in the “Column Labels” section, and “Count of Email” in the Values section. This will help you find age ranges and genders to target in your Facebook advertising.
5. Additionally, you should find the geographic location of your valuable customers. Download a free zip code database. Do a vlookup in Excel to find the city and state associated with each zip code. Download this free zip code database, and add the city and state to your RapLeaf export using the following two formulas (column AA in this example is the column in the Rapleaf export that contains the zip codes):
For the city:
For the state:
6. Once you’ve found the age, gender, and location of your most valuable customers, use that information to create several targeted audiences. For example, you might come up with one audience that targets males aged 25-34, living in Texas, and another that targets females aged 45-54, living in New York.
7. Create a post that will resonate with each of the individual audiences you’re targeting. Facebook is becoming more and more visual, so for each post, share a compelling image in your post and include some text describing the image and what you do. Also add a link to your website after the text and ensure that it is visible in the post.
8. In the Facebook Power Editor, create a sponsored page post for each of the targeted audiences you identified in step 6. In each post, add your Lookalike segment in the Custom Audiences section of the ad creation.
Add the geographic location, age, and gender combination that matches the targeted audience for each post.
Now sit back and watch the power of micro-targeted Facebook ads. Combining RapLeaf’s data append service and Facebook’s Lookalike feature will ensure you’re showing ads to people who look like your most valuable customers, the people most likely to engage with your brand.
- Ryan Pitylak, CEO of Unique Influence, has spent the past 14 years helping startups gain awareness of new products and services. He focuses on generating customers for high-velocity startups and other innovative companies with a rigorous data-driven approach that identifies and solves the conversion gap, efficiently delivering the right high-impact customers by developing cross-channel marketing success.